Name:
Location: Helsinki, Uusimaa, Finland

Sunday, September 17, 2006

At last I've decided.. I shall use English for this blog - shan't tell the deep philosophical and hermeneutic reasons for this choice, but anyway English affords much more potential readers than Italian (for the moment eh eh).
Today is a very depressing day - rainy clouds thicking the sky and quite cold temperature. I'm again in the atmospheric mood to head back to Finland. Only that, for now, since no houses are available from HOAS at the moment and my friend Ramunas - my prospective flatmate - is quite angry. I am not, since anyway there is still so much left to do here in Torino.
My book on Bobby Barlow's "Eyes of the God" is proceeding pretty well. Probably it will take more pages than those allowed, so I will soon be committed to some cutting. What a painful and unpleasant job.. I've always felt like amputating some part of myself. After all, when you write much, putting all your thoughts and reflections in a work of yours, to be forced to cut away parts is an undeserved bloody process. Anyway.. the American publisher wants no more than 220 pages, and I'm already over that - with two key points (as "Cosmicism" and "Time") still left out.. Don't know if Bobby Barlow truly was my alter-ego (Benjamin believes so, but about himself.. what's sure, is that his fiction is truly challenging, his bleak (suicidal?) views on life certainly appealing. Well, don't mind if the book looks too much an insight of myself and less of the writer in question.. It was his literature to originate these reflections, so hail to Mr. Barlow.
Lately the Roman editor of the book of Randolph Carter's adventures called me, saying that Bompiani gave the OKs and the book will be titled "Il Guardiano del Sogno" ("The Guardian of Dreams. The Adventures of R.C."). Great title, well done. The translation of "Kadath" is at a good point, and must say I did not remember such picaresque richness in the saga. Not bad, after all: I'm enjoying Lovecraft's work much - though I know he did not, and can understand why. After all, these adventures must have sound a bit childish to him, even if the backing cosmicism is awesome. In the end, what's wrong in reading or writing for (almost) pure fun?
That's it. Yesterday Juventus won the first match in B series of her entire history. What a fatigue! The opposite team, Vicenza, deserved to tie the score. Anyway, it ended 2-1 for Juve. The only good (and nostalgic) thing of the match was that the old and glorious black-and-white striped shirts reappeared in the even more glorious "Stadio Comunale" (Town Stadium), now re-baptised "Stadio Olimpico" because it hosted the inaugural ceremonies of recent Torino Winter Olympic Games. How many memories, for us juventinos, linked with that stadium..
So far, so good....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home